Toy manufacturers in Channapatna, Karnataka, applauded the Government’s decision to prohibit the import of toys from China and said that the government’s action is contributing to augmenting their profitability.
GS I: History, Facts for Prelims
About Channapatna Toys:
Location and History:
- Channapatna toys are a form of wooden toys and dolls that are manufactured in the town of Channapatna in the Ramanagara district of Karnataka.
- Channapatna is also known as Gombegala Ooru (toy-town).
- Tipu Sultan, the historic ruler of Mysore, is credited with introducing these wooden toys to Channapatna by inviting artists from Persia to train the local artists in wooden toy making.
Handmade and Chemical-Free:
- Most Channapatna toys are handmade and painted in organic colours extracted from vegetables, plants, and natural dyes.
- This makes them 100% chemical-free and safe for children.
- Traditionally, they are mostly made of Ivory Wood, but nowadays, sandalwood and mango wood are also used.
Shapes and Safety:
- The shapes of Channapatna toys are mostly round and cubes with blunt edges, making them completely safe for kids.
- Geographical Indication:
- Channapatna toys received the Geographical Indication (GI) tag in 2005, recognizing them as a unique product of the town and ensuring their authenticity.
-Source: The Print