Psychology as an optional subject has more to do with understanding of the underlying concepts and constructs that lead to unique Human behaviors, thoughts, motivations and aspirations. A good deal of books and material has been published in this discipline despite its newness ( Psychology as a field started only in 1880s). This subject has a prescribed syllabus when we consider the UPSC Civil Services Examination. The syllabus spans across 28 chapters, and having a single book to master the entire syllabus is not possible. A strategy with multiple books for specific topics would serve the purpose better with some books acting as base material.
- Psychology – Class XI NCERT (Complete Book)
- Psychology – Class XII NCERT (Complete Book)
- Psychology 5th Edition by Robert A Baron (complete book)
Psychology 5th Edition by Saundra K Ciccarelli.
Understanding Psychology 12th Edition by Robert S. Feldman.
- IGNOU BAPC Material
- IGNOU MAPC Material
- Tests, Measurements and Research Methods in Behavioural Sciences by A K Singh
- Fundamentals of Cognitive Psychology 2nd Edition by Ronald Kellogg
- Theories of Personality by Sydney Ellen Schultz and Duane Schultz
- Applied Psychology 3rd Edition by Smarak Swain
- Social Psychology by Baron and Branscombe