Focus: GS III: Security Challenges
Why in News?
The 10th edition of the maritime Exercise SLINEX – 2023 recently began in Colombo.
Exercise SLINEX – 2023
Exercise SLINEX – 2023 is a bilateral maritime exercise between the Indian Navy and Sri Lanka Navy.
- SLINEX is an annual exercise, and SLINEX – 2023 marks the 10th edition of the exercise.
- The exercise aims to enhance interoperability, improve mutual understanding, and exchange best practices and procedures in multi-faceted maritime operations between both navies.
Phases and Participants
- The exercise will be conducted in two phases: Harbour Phase and Sea Phase.
- The Indian Navy will be represented by two vessels, INS Kiltan (Advanced Anti-Submarine Warfare Corvette) and INS Savitri (Offshore Patrol Vessel).
- The Sri Lanka Navy will have two vessels, SLNS Gajabahu (Advanced Offshore Patrol Vessel) and SLNS Sagara (OPV).
- SLINEX is in line with India’s policy of ‘Neighbourhood First’ and the Prime Minister’s vision of ‘Security and Growth for All in the Region (SAGAR)’.