Focus: GS II: Government Policies and Interventions
Why in News?
Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs is set to organize a two-day National Workshop on the National e-Vidhan Application (NeVA) on 24th & 25th of May, 2023 in New Delhi.
About the Workshop:
- The objective of the workshop is to encourage legislatures of all states and union territories to adopt the National e-Vidhan Application (NeVA) platform.
- The aim is to promote transparency, accountability, and responsiveness in the conduct of house business through the use of technology.
- This workshop is the second of its kind, following the first workshop held in September 2018.
About National e-Vidhan Application (NeVA):
- The Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs is the nodal ministry responsible for overseeing the implementation of NeVA.
Definition and Purpose:
- NeVA is one of the 44 Mission Mode Projects (MMPs) under the Digital India Programme initiated by the Government of India.
- Its purpose is to transform the functioning of all State Legislatures into a paperless environment, creating a “Digital House.”
- NeVA is a member-centric and device-neutral application designed to provide legislators with comprehensive access to various aspects of House Business.
- It includes member contact details, rules of procedure, notices, bills, starred/unstarred questions and answers, committee reports, and more, accessible on handheld devices or tablets.
- So far, 21 State legislatures have signed Memorandum of Understanding for implementing NeVA, and the project has been sanctioned for 17 legislatures.
- Among these, 9 legislatures have already become fully digital and are operational on the NeVA platform.