- An apex environmental screening committee has deferred a decision on clearance to the Parliament redevelopment project.
- This has been done on the grounds that there was a dispute, being heard in the Delhi High Court, regarding the land on which some of the proposed structures were to come up
- As the alterations which are proposed will involve land-use change not in conformity with Delhi’s Master Plan
What is parliament revamp plan?
- The expansion and renovation of the Parliament building, which is part of the Central Vista Redevelopment project and involves redeveloping the 3-km stretch from Rashtrapati Bhavan to the India Gate in Lutyens’ Delhi.
- The revamp, which was announced in September, envisages a new triangular Parliament building that is targeted to be constructed by August 2022, when the country will be celebrating its 75th Independence Day.
- The CPWD applied to the environment ministry as part of a formal process.