Why in news?
In pursuance to the budget announcement (2018-19), it has been decided to set up two Defence Industrial Corridors in the Country
- Uttar Pradesh : six nodes in Uttar Pradesh Defence Corridor viz. Agra, Aligarh, Chitrakoot, Jhansi, Kanpur and Lucknow
- Tamil Nadu: five nodes viz. Chennai, Coimbatore, Hosur, Salem and Tiruchirappalli have been identified
Investments being done by Ordnance Factory Board (OFB)/Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs) & Private Industries
- Incentives to private players and foreign companies are provided under the respective state policies.
- Setting up of Defence Industrial Corridors would catalyse indigenous production of defence and aerospace related items, thereby reducing our reliance on imports and promoting export of these items to other countries.
- This will lead to achieve India’s goal of self-reliance in defence, generation of direct/indirect employment opportunities and growth of private domestic manufacturers, Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and Star-ups.
Presently, there is no proposal to set up more Defence Indusrial Corridor(s) in the country.