Focus: GS III: Security Challenges
Why in News?
As part of military-to-military exchange programs, a contingent of Indian Special Forces troops are currently engaged in a bilateral joint training Exercise GARUDA SHAKTI with Indonesian Special Forces at Sangga Buana Training Area, Karawang, Indonesia.
Exercise Garuda Shakti:
- Exercise Garuda Shakti is the eighth edition of the series of bilateral exercises under this banner.
- The exercise aims at enhancing understanding, cooperation and interoperability between the Special Forces of both armies.
- The joint training would also focus on a high degree of physical fitness, tactical drills, techniques and procedures for which a comprehensive 13-day training programme has been worked out.
- The joint exercise will facilitate both armies to know each other better, and share their wide experiences and combat experience on countering terrorist operations, Regional Security Operations & Peace Keeping Operations in an international environment.
- The exercise is yet another significant milestone in ensuring cordial relations between the two countries and another step forward towards ensuring regional security.
Scope of the joint exercise
Orientation to advance special forces skills, sharing of information on weapon, equipment, innovations, tactics, techniques & procedures and lessons learnt from various operations undertaken, Special Forces Operations in Jungle terrain, strikes on terrorist camps and a validation exercise integrating basic and advance special forces skills apart from gaining an insight into the lifestyle and culture of both countries to foster military cooperation.