India and Bangladesh commenced the 11th edition of exercise SAMPRITI on 03rd October 2023 in Umroi, Meghalaya.
GS III: Security Challenges
Exercise SAMPRITI: Enhancing India-Bangladesh Defense Cooperation
- Exercise SAMPRITI is an annual joint military exercise conducted between India and Bangladesh.
- It was initiated in Jorhat, Assam in 2009 and has continued for ten successful editions until 2022.
- The exercise is alternately organized by both countries, demonstrating their strong bilateral defense cooperation efforts.
- SAMPRITI-XI, spanning 14 days, will involve around 350 personnel from both sides.
- Its primary objectives include improving interoperability between the two armies, sharing tactical drills, and promoting best practices.
- Various units, including artillery, engineers, and supporting arms and services, will participate from both nations.
- Focused on Sub-Conventional Operations in line with Chapter VII of the UN mandate, SAMPRITI-XI encompasses a Command Post Exercise (CPX) and a Field Training Exercise (FTX), culminating in a Validation Exercise.
- The exercise aims to further strengthen defense cooperation between India and Bangladesh, fostering deeper bilateral relations, cultural understanding, and mutual benefits through shared experiences in Sub-Conventional Operations.