30. What makes the Indian society unique in sustaining its culture? Discuss.
31. “Empowering women is the key to control the population growth.” Discuss.
32. What are the challenges to our cultural practices in the name of Secularism?
33. How is efficient and affordable urban mass transport key to the rapid economic development in India?
34. Do we have cultural pockets of small India all over the nation? Elaborate with examples.
35. What are the continued challenges for Women in India against time and space?
36. Are we losing our local identity for the global identity? Discuss.
1. “Caste system is assuming new identities and associational forms. Hence caste system cannot be eradicated in India.” Comment.
2. ‘Despite implementation of various programmes for eradication of poverty by the government in India, poverty is still existing’. Explain by giving reasons.
3. How the Indian concept of secularism is different from the western model of secularism? Discuss.
4. ‘Women’s movement in India has not addressed the issues of women of lower social strata.’ Substantiate your view.
5. ‘Globalization is generally said to promote cultural homogenization but due to this cultural specificities appear to be strengthened in the Indian Society.’ Elucidate.
6. ‘Communalism arises either due to power struggle or relative deprivation’. Argue by giving suitable illustrations.
7. In the context of the diversity of India, can it be said that the regions form cultural units rather than the States? Give reasons with examples for your viewpoint.
8. What are the two major legal initiatives by the State since Independence addressing discrimination against Scheduled Tribes (STs)?
9. The spirit of tolerance and love is not only an interesting feature of Indian society from very early times, but it is also playing an important part at the present. Elaborate.
10. Distinguish between religiousness/religiosity and communalism giving one example of how the former has got transformed into the latter in independent India.
11. To what extent globalisation has influenced the core of cultural diversity in India? Explain.
12. “An essential condition to eradicate poverty is to liberate the poor from the process of deprivation.” Substantiate this statement with suitable examples.
13. Why are the tribals in India referred to as ‘the Scheduled Tribes’? Indicate the major provisions enshrined in the Constitution of India for their upliftment.
14. What is the basis of regionalism? Is it that unequal distribution of benefits of development on regional basis eventually promotes regionalism? Substantiate your answer.
15. Describe any four cultural elements of diversity in India and rate their relative significance in building a national identity.
16. Critically examine whether growing population is the cause of poverty OR poverty is the main cause of population increase in India.
17. How do you explain the statistics that show that the sex ratio in Tribes in India is more favourable to women than the sex ratio among Scheduled Castes?
18. Discuss the changes in the trends of labour migration within and outside India in the last four decades.
19. Discuss the positive and negative effects of globalization on women in India.
20. Debate the issue of whether and how contemporary movements for assertion of Dalit identity work towards annihilation of caste.
21. How does patriarchy impact the position of a middle class working woman in India?
22. Why do some of the most prosperous regions of India have an adverse sex ratio for women? Give your arguments.
23. The life cycle of a joint family depends on economic factors rather than social values. Discuss.
24. Discuss the various economic and socio-cultural forces that are driving increasing feminization of agriculture in India.
25. How do the Indian debates on secularism differ from the debates in the West?
26. Discuss the various social problems which originated out of the speedy process of urbanization in India.
27. “Male membership needs to be encouraged in order to make women’s organization free from gender bias.” Comment.
28. Critically examine the effect of globalization on the aged population in India.
29. Growing feeling of regionalism is an important factor in generation of demand for a separate State. Discuss.