Focus: GS-III Disaster Management, Science and Technology
Why in news?
Isolation, and not indiscriminate testing, is the only way India can limit the spread of COVID-19: Director-General, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) said on 22nd March 2020.
What ICMR Director General had to say?
- A lockdown is the most important step in breaking transmission of the infection.
- The State governments have now been directed to earmark hospitals specifically to accommodate COVID-19 patients.
- ICMR noted that it had tested over 16,109 individuals, and over 7,000 were currently under surveillance.
- We have enough stock of personal protection equipment and have asked the States to use all their resources to ensure that the poor and disadvantaged groups don’t suffer.
- Our approach is preventive while being prepared.