Focus: GS III: Security Challenges
Why in News?
The first edition of the India, France, and UAE Maritime Partnership Exercise began on June 7, 2023, in the Gulf of Oman.
- Participating in the exercise are INS Tarkash (Indian Navy), French Ship Surcouf (French Navy), French Rafale aircraft, and UAE Navy Maritime Patrol Aircraft.
- The two-day exercise will involve a range of naval operations, including Surface Warfare, Missile engagements on surface targets, Helicopter Cross Deck Landing Operations, Advanced Air Defence Exercise, and Boarding operations.
- The exercise will also facilitate the exchange of personnel for the sharing of best practices.
- The primary objective of the maiden exercise is to strengthen trilateral cooperation between the three navies and develop strategies to address traditional and non-traditional threats in the maritime environment.
- Additionally, the exercise aims to enhance collaboration in ensuring the safety of mercantile trade and freedom of navigation in the region’s high seas.