Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare launched the National Ayush Mission (NAM), a centrally sponsored scheme in 2014. It was launched with the basic objective of promoting Ayurveda, Yoga, Siddha & Unani and Homoeopathy (AYUSH) medical system through cost effective services, strengthening of educational systems, sustainable availability of ASU & H raw-materials and facilitate the enforcement of quality control of (ASU &H) drugs
The union cabinet has approved the continuation of NAM till March 2020. In order to provide supporting facilities under the mission and to strengthen the AYUSH infrastructure at both attached Central and State levels, financial assistance for setting up of the Programme Management Units (PMU’s) will be provided.
- Enhanced accessibility to achieve universal health coverage for affordable treatment.
- Reduced burden on secondary and tertiary health care facilities
- Reduced out of pocket expenditure due to “self-care” model.
- Integration of AYUSH in implementation of SDG 3, as mandated by NITI Aayog
- Validated holistic wellness model in target areas.