- National Consultation on Opportunities and Challenges for Bamboo in India
- One District One Focus Product
- Hunar haat
- Maritime India Summit 2021
NATIONAL CONSULTATION ON OPPORTUNITIES AND CHALLENGES FOR BAMBOO IN INDIA
Focus: GS III-Agriculture
Why in news?
Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare virtually addressed the inaugural session of ‘National Consultation on Opportunities and Challenges for Bamboo in India’
About National Consultation on Opportunities and Challenges for Bamboo in India:
- It is jointly organized by National Bamboo Mission, NITI Aayog and ‘Invest India’
- To develop the bamboo and to double farmers’ income, increase employment opportunities and improve the livelihood of the people, especially in the North East region.
- It emphasizes the formation of FPOs to encourage small and marginal farmers for taking up bamboo plantation.
National Bamboo Mission
Nodal: Department of Agriculture & Cooperation (DAC) under the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare
- It is a centrally Sponsored scheme, to harness the potential of the bamboo crop.
The National Bamboo Mission was implemented with the following objectives:
- Enhance the yields with improved and new varieties.
- In the potential areas, increase the coverage area for bamboo.
- Promotion and marketing of bamboo and handicrafts made of bamboo.
- Establish coordination and cooperation among stakeholders for the development of the bamboo sector.
- Promote, develop, and disseminate technologies through a perfect blend of modern scientific knowledge and traditional wisdom.
- Generate employment opportunities for skilled and unskilled labourers, especially unemployed youths.
Bamboo is part of rural livelihood in many countries and is also called poor man’s timber’.
- Bamboo can be used food, a substitute for wood, building and construction material, for handicrafts and paper.
- Though it grows tall like a tree, it belongs to the grass family. It can withstand drought as well as flood.
- The North-Eastern States are a storehouse of bamboo diversity, home to more than 50 bamboo varieties.
- Assam is the largest bamboo producing state in India
- It is a non-profit venture under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India.
- It is National Investment Promotion and Facilitation Agency of India and act as the first point of reference for investors in India.
- It focuses on sector-specific investor targeting and development of new partnerships to enable sustainable investments in India.
ONE DISTRICT ONE FOCUS PRODUCT
Focus: GS III-Agriculture
Why in news?
The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare in consultation with the Ministry of Food Processing Industries has finalized the products for One District One Focus Product (ODOFP).
About One District One Focus Product:
Nodal: Ministry of agriculture and farmers welfare
- Aim is to increase the value of the products and increasing the income of the farmers.
- It is a Centrally sponsored scheme.
- The products have been identified from agricultural, horticultural, animal, poultry, milk, fisheries and aquaculture, marine sectors for 728 districts across the country.
- Products will be promoted in a cluster approach through convergence of the Government of India schemes
- The implementation of ODOFP by State Governments will benefit farmers and provide support for realizing the expectations of value addition and subsequently enhancing agricultural exports.
Focus: GS II- Minorities, Prelims
Why in news?
Union Minister for Minority Affairs said that the “Hunar Haat” is playing “phenomenal and perfect” role in making “Vocal for Local” campaign a “mass movement”.
About Hunar haat:
Nodal: Ministry of Minority affairs
- Hunar Haat is an effective platform wherein opportunity is given to the exhibition of handicrafts and traditional products made by artisans from the minority communities.
- Main aim to provide market exposure and employment opportunities to artisans, craftsmen and traditional culinary experts.
- These are organised by the Ministry of Minority Affairs under USTTAD (Upgrading the Skills & Training in Traditional Arts/Crafts for Development) scheme.
- The USTTAD scheme aims to promote and preserve the rich heritage of the traditional arts & crafts of the minority communities.
- Construction of Hunar Hubs is one of the projects considered under the scheme with the objective of enabling artisans/entrepreneurs to carry out exhibitions/melas/food-courts/skill training under one roof in the identified MCD Headquarters.
MARITIME INDIA SUMMIT 2021
Focus: GS III – Infrastructure
Why in news?
Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways is organizing ‘Maritime India Summit 2021’
on a virtual platform to promote both international and domestic investment in the
Ports and Maritime Sector.
- Prime Minister will inaugurate ‘Maritime India Summit 2021’ on 2nd March via video conferencing.
About Maritime India Summit:
- The objective of the Summit is to propel India to the forefront of the Global Maritime Sector.
- MIS 2021 will provide a unique platform where various stakeholders in the maritime sectors such as Policy Planners, Senior Government Officials, Domestic and International Investors, Sector Experts, Shipping Line Owners, Representatives of Major Ports from across the world as well as the Governments of Maritime States in India will participate.
- The opening session of the summit will have ministerial level participation from Afghanistan, Russia, Uzbekistan, Iran and Armenia and will feature discussions on Development of Port Infrastructure and Boosting Business through Trade, Promotion and Regional connectivity.
- There are sessions which will focus on each coastal state. Eight States/UTs –Maharashtra, Gujarat, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep have already partnered for the MIS- 2021.
- The MIS-2021 will celebrate Chabahar day on 04 th March 2021. Chabahar is Iran’s closest and best access point to the Indian Ocean.
- It was also informed that The Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry has been engaged as industry partner and Ernst & Young has been engaged as knowledge partner of the Summit.