- Ganga Utsav 2022
- Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji
Focus: Facts for prelims
Why in News?
Recently, the Ministry of Jal Shakti by the collaboration of The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) has organized Ganga Utsav- The River Festivals 2022.
About Ganga Utsav
- The NMCG celebrates the festival every year to strengthen the Public – River Connection.
- NMCG is the implementation wing of National Ganga Council, set up in 2016, which replaced the National Ganga River Basin Authority (NRGBA).
- The NMCG has been registered in the Guinness Book of World Records on the first day of Ganga Utsav 2021 for the highest number of photos of handwritten notes that were uploaded on Facebook in an hour.
- It highlights the significance of Jan Bhagidari (People’s Participation) in the revival of Ganga, with a focus on encouraging stakeholder engagement and public participation towards the rejuvenation of river Ganga.
Click Here To Read More: Ganga Utsav 2022
Focus: GS I- History
Why in News?
The Prime Minister attended and offered prayers at celebrations of the 553rd Prakash Parv of Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji at New Delhi.
About Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji
- The Guru Nanak Dev Ji (1469-1539) was born in a village, Talwandi Rai Bhoe, near Lahore (it was renamed later as Nankana Sahib).
- The Guru Nanak Dev Ji initiated inter-faith dialogue way back in the 16th century and had conversations with most of the religious denominations of his times.
- The Guru Nanak Dev Ji, also referred to as Baba Nanak, was the founder of Sikhism and is the first of the ten Sikh Gurus.
- His birth is celebrated worldwide as Guru Nanak Gurpurab on Katak Pooranmashi i.e October – November.
- His written compositions were included in the Adi Granth compiled by Guru Arjan (1563-1606), the fifth Sikh guru.
- This came to be known as Guru Granth Sahib after the additions made by the 10th Guru Gobind Singh (1666-1708).
- In compiling the Adi Granth, Guru Arjan showed a remarkable commitment to pluralism while retaining the unity of thought initiated by Guru Nanak Dev.
Click here To Read More: Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji