Why in news?
- Using mobile radio, the Asur community has been spreading the popularity of the language within their geographical limits.
- The Asur language figures in the list of UNESCO Interactive Atlas of the World’s Languages in Danger.
- As per the 2011 census, the tribe has a population of around 23,000 in Latehar and Gumla districts.
- In the community, 50% of population could barely speak in Asur language … They are not fluent in the language.
- Only 7,000 to 8,000 Asur tribals are left in the community who are well conversant in the language
- Youth from the community are also being encouraged to write poems in their language and older ones narrate their experience in their own language