Focus: GS III: Security Challenges
Why in News?
Recently, a contingent of the Indian Air Force left for Malaysia to participate in a bilateral exercise named ‘Udarashakti’. While Harimau Shakti is Joint military exercises which are held annually between the two countries.
Highlights of the Exercise
- The Indian Air Force is participating in the air exercise with Su-30 MKI and C-17 aircraft while Malaysian Air Force will be flying Su 30 MKM aircraft.
- The four days of exercise will witness the conduct of various aerial combat drills between the two Air Forces.
- The first bilateral Air Force exercise that staged frontline Sukhoi-30 combat aircraft was conducted in 2018.
- From 2008 to 2010, the Indian Air Force Training Team was deployed in Malaysia to give training to Malaysian pilots on the SU-30SKM aircraft.
Significance of the Exercise
- Exercises will strengthen long-standing friendships and enhance defence cooperation between both armies. As a result, regional security will be strengthened.
- IAF will have an opportunity to share and learn best practices with the Royal Malaysian Air Force through this exercise. It is also likely that they will discuss mutual combat capabilities.