Vostok-2022 Military exercise commences in Russia with countries like India and China participating.
GS III: Security Challenges
- It is a multilateral strategic and command exercise taking place in Russia.
- An Indian Army contingent comprising troops from 7/8 Gorkha Rifles is participating in the exercise.
- Aim: The exercise is aimed at interaction and coordination amongst other participating military contingents and observers
- The Indian Army contingent over the next seven days will undertake joint manoeuvres to include
- Joint field training exercises,
- Combat discussions, and
- Firepower exercises
- The Exercise will be conducted in two phases:
- Participating contingents include observers from the Collective Security Treaty Organisation, the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) and other partner states including Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Laos, Mongolia, Nicaragua, Syria and Tajikistan.
- The exercise comes as the standoff between India and China along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Eastern Ladakh continues for over two years now.
- India also defended its participation in the exercises in response to U.S. criticism.
-Source: The Hindu