What was the reason for Mahatma Gandhi to organise a satyagraha on behalf of the peasants of Kheda?
1. The Administration did not suspend the land revenue collection in spite of a drought.
2. The Administration proposed to introduce Permanent Settlement in Gujarat.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?(2011)
a) 1 only
b) 2 only
c) Both 1 and 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2
Kheda Satyagraha 1918
- The farmers of Kheda district in Gujarat were in distress because of the failure of crops.
- The government refused to remit land revenue and insisted on its full collection.
- As part of the experiment, Mahatma Gandhi advised the peasants to withhold payment of revenue till their demand for its remission was met.
- The struggle was withdrawn when it was learnt that the government had issued instructions that revenue should be recovered only from those peasants who could afford to pay.