Why in News?
- C.N.R. Rao, the chief guest at the Indian Science Congress told that Neither the Quality nor the quantity of publications that come out of India are adequate.
- He said China had made major strides in science, and as of today, it nearly equalled the research publication output of the U.S. — the leading producer of scientific publications in the world.
About C. N. Rao
- 2013 Bharat Ratna Awardee (The highest Civilian Award in India)
- He became the third scientist after C.V. Raman and A.P.J. Abdul Kalam to receive the Bharat Ratna.
- He also received the Fellowship of the Royal Society (FRS) which is an award granted to individuals that the Royal Society of London judges to have made a ‘substantial contribution to the improvement of natural knowledge, including mathematics, engineering science, and medical science’.
- One of the Foremost Indian chemist who has worked mainly in solid-state and structural chemistry.
- Currently serving as the Head of the Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister of India.