Why in news?
iPhone, iPad, Amazon Echo or Kindle or certain handsets from Google, Samsung or Xiaomi, is exposed to have a vulnerable WiFi chips that allowed hackers to access data from the handset.
- Once a hacker gets access to any device for even a short period of time, they can do anything, including planting a malware or intercepting sensitive information that is being sent or received via the Internet.
- Indian cybercrime agencies are currently trying to gauge the number of devices featuring these two chips in circulation in the country to get a sense of the magnitude of the problem.
Related Indian Cybercrime Agency in the news recently: I4C
- The Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) was recently inaugurated by the government.
- The scheme to set up I4C was approved in October 2018, to deal with all types of cybercrimes in a comprehensive and coordinated manner.
- It will be set up under the newly created Cyber and Information Security (CIS) division of the MHA.
- The I4C will assist in centralising cyber security investigations, prioritise the development of response tools and bring together private companies to contain the menace.