- Honey Mission programme
- Climate Change Performance Index 2023
Honey Mission Programme
Focus: GS III: Agriculture
Why in News?
Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has taken a giant leap towards “Aatmanirbhar Bharat” by creating local employment to unemployed youth through its flagship “Honey Mission” programme.
- The Honey Mission was launched by KVIC in 2017 which aimed at creating employment for the Adivasis, farmers, unemployed youth, and women by roping them in beekeeping while also increasing India’s honey production.
- Western Uttar Pradesh has been chosen as one of the most favourable markets for honey production as the entire region has an abundance of flora that also includes a variety of crops.
- KVIC acts liaison as an income-generating tool for the beekeepers and beekeeping.
- KVIC ensures better food and medicine with the value of honey production and other hive products and supports cross-pollination that pays the way for agriculture crops.
- KVIC would provide loans for setting up processing units, packaging units and labelling units for honey.
- The significance of the mission lies in the fact that Production of healthy honey and wax, and bee-keeping would open many job opportunities for unemployed youths and also for aspiring young entrepreneurs.
Click Here To Read More: Honey Mission Programme
Climate Change Performance Index 2023
Focus: GS III: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation
Why in News?
India jumps 2 spots higher, and now ranks 8th as per Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI, 2023)
About Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI):
- The Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) was released and published by three environmental nongovernmental organizations viz. New Climate Institute, German-watch, and the Climate Action Network (CAN) International.
- It is an independent monitoring tool for tracking the climate protection performance of 57 countries and the European Union.
- These countries together generate 90%+ of global greenhouse gas emissions.
- Aim: It aims to enhance transparency in international climate politics and enables comparison of climate protection efforts and progress made by individual countries.
- CCPI looks at four categories with 14 indicators:
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions,
- Renewable Energy,
- Energy Use, and
- Climate Policy.
- India rose two spots to rank eighth out of 63 countries in the Climate Change Performance Index 2023.
- India has been ranked amongst top 5 countries in the world, and the best among the G20 countries, based on its Climate Change performance.
- In 2022 and 2021, India stood in the 10th spot.
- India scored 67.35 points.
- In the overall standings, no country ranked first, second, or third on the index.
- Denmark, with a score of 79,61, ranked fourth, followed by Sweden with 73.28 points.