Focus: GS III: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation
Why in News?
India jumps 2 spots higher, and now ranks 8th as per Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI, 2023)
About Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI):
- The Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) was released and published by three environmental nongovernmental organizations viz. New Climate Institute, German-watch, and the Climate Action Network (CAN) International.
- It is an independent monitoring tool for tracking the climate protection performance of 57 countries and the European Union.
- These countries together generate 90%+ of global greenhouse gas emissions.
- Aim: It aims to enhance transparency in international climate politics and enables comparison of climate protection efforts and progress made by individual countries.
- CCPI looks at four categories with 14 indicators:
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions,
- Renewable Energy,
- Energy Use, and
- Climate Policy.
- India rose two spots to rank eighth out of 63 countries in the Climate Change Performance Index 2023.
- India has been ranked amongst top 5 countries in the world, and the best among the G20 countries, based on its Climate Change performance.
- In 2022 and 2021, India stood in the 10th spot.
- India scored 67.35 points.
- In the overall standings, no country ranked first, second, or third on the index.
- Denmark, with a score of 79,61, ranked fourth, followed by Sweden with 73.28 points.