An updated version of Pinaka Missile System, named Pinaka Mark II rocket was successfully flight-tested.
- Pinaka is an indigenous multi-barrel rocket launch system, which has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the Indian Army.
- Its weapon system has a state-of-the-art guidance kit bolstered by an advanced navigation and control system.
- The Pinaka Mark II Rocket is modified as a missile by integrating with the navigation, control and guidance system to improve the accuracy and enhance the range.
- The navigation system of the missile is aided by the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS).
- It is an artillery missile system capable of striking into enemy territory up to a range of 75 kilometres with high precision.
- The initial version of weapon system was called Mark I, which had a range of 40 km. The upgraded version or Pinaka Mark II has an extended range of 70 to 80 km.