Why in news?
The Textiles Committee will now test and certify PPE body coveralls required for healthcare workers and other COVID-19 warriors.
- The inclusion of Textiles Committee as the ninth approved laboratory to test and certify body coveralls has been announced by the Ministry of Textiles on 20th May.
- The Ministry of Textiles has been taking several steps to ensure that both quality and quantity of PPE coveralls going up to the desired levels within a very short span of time of two months, thereby catapulting India into the world’s second largest manufacturer of body coveralls, next only to China.
- A Unique Certification Code (UCC) is issued for each passed / cleared prototype sample submitted by the manufacturers of the PPE Coveralls.
About Textiles Committee
- The Textiles Committee is a Statutory Body established in 1963, by enactment of Textiles Committee Act, 1963.
- It is under the administrative control of the Ministry of Textiles.
- It has been formed to ensure the quality of textiles and textile machinery both for internal consumption and export purpose.
- The Committee is tasked with the functions of establishing laboratories for the testing of textiles and textile machinery and providing for their inspection and examination, besides other functions which flow from the main objective of ensuring quality of textiles products and textiles machinery.