Why in news?
In what might come as a double whammy for tiger reserves across the country this year, the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) has decided to slash funds by 15% for each state.
- The prime tiger tourism season from March to June 15 has fallen flat due to the lockdown.
- Conservation efforts would suffer amid the alert issued by the Wildlife Crime Control Bureau.
- With monsoon season around the corner, important road construction work will suffer.
- Internal road connectivity inside reserves is essential during the rainy season for effective patrolling to check poaching and other anti-forest activities.
- Even NTCA (National Tiger Conservation Authority) share of funding may be affected.
-Source: Times of India