Why in news?
- 150th anniversary celebration of Kolkata Port Trust in Kolkata happened on 10th January 2019.
- Decorative Lighting of the Rabindra Setu was done, giving it a more heritage look. This is formed as a new interactive show which is expected to help attract tourists.
About Rabindra Setu
- Rabindra Setu, formerly Howrah Bridge, was commissioned in 1943.
- Rabindra Setu is a bridge with a suspended span over the Hooghly River in West Bengal, India.
- On 14 June 1965 it was renamed Rabindra Setu after the great Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore, who was the first Indian and Asian Nobel laureate.
- It is an engineering marvel as it does not have nuts and bolts, but was formed by riveting the whole structure.
- It consumed 26,500 tonnes of steel, out of which 23,000 tonnes of high-tensile alloy steel.