- ROHTANG TUNNEL NAMED AFTER VAJPAYEE
- IMF :INDIA IN THE MIDST OF SIGNIFICANT SLOWDOWN
- CHIEF OF DEFENCE STAFF
ROHTANG TUNNEL NAMED AFTER VAJPAYEE
Why in News?
Announcing the decisions taken by the Cabinet at a meeting chaired by hon. PM Narendra Modi, one of the cabinet ministers said that the pass will be named after former Prime Minister Vajpayee.
Facts about Rohtang Pass
- Rohtang Pass (elevation 3,978 m) is located in the state of Himachal Pradesh.
- It is present on the Pir Panjal Range of Himalayas.
- It connects the Kullu Valley with Lahaul and Spiti Valleys of Himachal Pradesh.
- The Ravi river rises west of the Rohtang pass in the Kullu hills of Himachal Pradesh
IMF :INDIA IN THE MIDST OF SIGNIFICANT SLOWDOWN
Why in News?
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has said that India is now in the midst of a significant economic slowdown.
IMF urged the government to take urgent policy actions to address the current prolonged downturn
It was noted that – India’s rapid economic expansion in recent years has lifted millions of people out of poverty.
However, in the first half of 2019, a combination of factors led to subdued economic growth in India.
“The issue in India [now] is the growth slowdown. We still believe it is mostly cyclical, not structural… Because of the financial sector issues”
Facts about IMF:
- It is headquartered at Washington, D.C.
- IMF publishes 2 major reports
- World Economic Outlook – It is published biennially. It gives an overview and detailed analysis of the world economy by considering the issues of industrial countries, economies in the mode of transition and developing countries.
- Global Financial Stability Report – It is also published twice a year. The report assesses stability of global financial market and emerging markets.
CHIEF OF DEFENCE STAFF
Why in News?
Union Cabinet has given its approval for the creation of the post of the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) on 24th December 2019.
- Under the Ministry of Defence a separate Department of Military Affairs (DMA)will be established.
- The head of the Department of Military Affairs and The Chairman (Permanent) of the Chiefs of Staff Committee is the Chief of Defence Staff
- Integrating the 3 forces the post of the Chief of Defence Staff will be in the rank of a Four-Star General
- Chief of Defence Staff, described as ‘first among equals’ among service chiefs, will be tasked with trimming weapons procurement procedures and integrating operation of the three Indian armed forces.
- The CDS will serve as the principal military advisor to the Defence Ministry on matters related to all tri-services.
- The CDS will not be able to exercise any military command, including over the three Service Chiefs, so as to be able to provide impartial advice to the political leadership.
CDS to oversee military was first recommended by the Kargil Review Committee– a committee set up after Kargil War (1999), to examine lapses in security after war, in which Pakistani soldiers infiltrated into India, occupied key positions in Kargil mountains and triggered the war.