- SC to frame issues for 9 judge Bench hearing religious rights
- Manufacturing activity reaches a near 8-year high in January
- Most Missing Women from Maharashtra, M.P
- Operation Vanilla
SC TO FRAME ISSUES FOR 9 JUDGE BENCH TO HEAR RELIGIOUS RIGHTS
Why in news?
The Sabarimala case review by a five-judge Bench led by then CJI Ranjan Gogoi took a different turn on November 2019.
What did the SC tell?
The Bench sidestepped the task of reviewing the September 2018 judgment, which declared the prohibition on the entry of women of menstruating age into the Sabarimala temple as discriminatory.
Question of essential Religious practices.
- The Bench referred seven questions, including whether essential religious practices should be afforded constitutional protection under Article 26 (freedom to manage religious affairs), to a larger Bench.
- Further, the Review Bench tagged other pending cases on the prohibition of Muslim women from entering mosques, female genital mutilation among Dawoodi Bohras and the ban on Parsi women who married inter-faith from entering the fire temple to the reference
MANUFACTURING ACTIVITY REACHES A NEAR 8-YEAR HIGH IN JANUARY
Why in news?
Sharp rise in demand drives growth of new business, exports, jobs: IHS Markit
- The country’s manufacturing sector activity climbed to a near eight-year high in January, driven by a sharp rise in new business orders amid a rebound in demand conditions that led to a rise in production and hiring activity
- Business sentiment strengthened and there were softer rises in both input costs and output charges
- IHS Markit India Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index rose from 52.7 in December to 55.3 in January, its highest level in just under eight years
- Hiring activity also rose, with firms increasing employment at the quickest rate in close to seven-and-a-half years
MOST MISSING WOMEN FROM MAHARASHTRA, M.P
Why in news?
The highest number of women and children who go missing in the country are from Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh respectively according to the study of NCRB.
What is it?
Indian Navy conducted “Operation Vanilla”, with INS Airavat delivering relief material such as food, clothing, medicines and water to flood prone Madagascar.
More about indian ocean rim association.
- The IORA is a regional forum, tripartite in nature, bringing together representatives of Government, Business and Academia, for promoting co-operation and closer interaction among them.
- It is based on the principles of Open Regionalism for strengthening Economic Cooperation particularly on Trade Facilitation and Investment, Promotion as well as Social Development of the region