Centre to promote destinations in 15 States as part of Swadesh Darshan 2.
GS II: Government Policies and Interventions
Dimensions of the Article:
- About Swadesh Darshan scheme
- Swadesh Darshan Scheme 2.0
About Swadesh Darshan scheme:
Nodal: Ministry of Tourism
Features of Swadesh Darshan Scheme:
- Swadesh Darshan scheme is one of the flagship scheme of the Ministry of tourism for the development of thematic circuits in the country in a planned and prioritised manner
- 100% funding from Centre for the project components undertaken for public funding.
- To leverage the voluntary funding available for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives of Central Public Sector Undertakings and corporate sector.
- Funding of individual project will vary from state to state and will be finalised on the basis of detailed project reports prepared by PMC (Programme Management Consultant). PMC will be a national level consultant to be appointed by the Mission Directorate.
- A National Steering Committee (NSC) will be constituted with Minister in charge of M/O Tourism as Chairman, to steer the mission objectives and vision of the scheme.
- A Mission Directorate headed by the Member Secretary, NSC as a nodal officer will help in identification of projects in consultation with the States/ UTs governments and other stake holders.
- To develop theme-based tourist circuits in the country.
- These tourist circuits will be developed on the principles of high tourist value, competitiveness and sustainability in an integrated manner.
- To develop quality infrastructure in the country with the objective of providing better experience and facilities to the visitors on one hand and on other hand fostering the economic growth.
Swadesh Darshan Scheme 2.0
- The revamped programme, Swadesh Darshan 2.0, aims to achieve “Aatmanirbhar Bharat” by fulfilling India’s full potential as a tourist destination under the motto “vocal for local.”
- In order to transform the Swadesh Darshan Scheme into a comprehensive mission to create sustainable and responsible tourism destinations, Swadesh Darshan 2.0 represents a generational transition rather than an incremental adjustment.
- The creation of benchmarks and standards for both general and theme-specific tourism destination development will be encouraged, and the States will use these benchmarks and standards when organising and implementing their projects.
Following major themes have been identified for tourism under the Scheme.
- Culture and Heritage
- Adventure Tourism
- Wellness Tourism
- MICE Tourism
- Rural Tourism
- Beach Tourism
- Cruises – Ocean & Inland.
-Source: The Hindu