Focus: GS III: Security Challenges
Why in News?
The 4th edition of the joint military exercise ‘DUSTLIK’ between the Indian Army and Uzbekistan Army has begun in Foreign Training Node, Pithoragarh (Uttarakhand).
About Exercise DUSTLIK 2023
- The exercise aims to promote positive relations between the armies of both countries and involves 45 soldiers each from India and Uzbekistan.
- The focus of the 14-day long joint exercise is on joint counter-terrorist operations in mountainous and semi-urban scenarios under UN mandate.
- The exercise will include field training exercises, combat discussions, lectures, demonstrations, and culminate with a validation exercise.
- Both sides will jointly train, plan and execute a series of tactical drills for neutralisation of likely threats while learning to exploit new generation equipment and technology for conducting joint operations.
- The exercise emphasizes increasing interoperability between forces and will enable understanding of each other’s organization and methodology of conducting various operations.
- The first edition of the exercise was held in Uzbekistan in November 2019.