Focus: GS III: Security Challenges
Why in News?
The joint military exercise “Ekuverin” between the Indian Army & the Maldives National Defence Force has commenced at Chaubatia, Uttarakhand from 11 to 24 June 2023.
About Exercise Ekuverin:
- Exercise Ekuverin is a joint military exercise conducted annually between India and Maldives. The name “Ekuverin” means “Friends” in the Dhivehi language.
- It is the 12th edition of this bilateral exercise, which takes place alternatively in India and Maldives.
- The primary objective of Exercise Ekuverin is to enhance interoperability between the Indian and Maldivian armed forces in Counter Insurgency/Counter Terrorism (CI/CT) operations under the United Nations mandate. The exercise also focuses on conducting joint Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) operations.
- The exercise aims to promote the sharing of best practices, enhance coordination, and improve cooperation between the two forces at the tactical level.
- In addition to the joint exercise, India provides assistance to the Maldives in defense training and equipment requirements. The defense cooperation between the two countries extends beyond exercises and encompasses economic, cultural, and military cooperation.
- The Exercise Ekuverin further strengthens the close and friendly relations between India and Maldives, fostering mutual understanding and cooperation in various fields.