Focus: GS III: Security Challenges
Why in News?
The Seventh edition of Indian Navy – US Navy (IN – USN) Salvage and Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) exercise, SALVEX was conducted from 26 Jun – 06 Jul 23 at Kochi.
About Exercise SALVEX
- The IN and USN have been conducting joint Salvage and EOD exercises since 2005.
- The exercise involved the participation of both navies, including the ships INS Nireekshak and USNS Salvor, as well as Specialist Diving and EOD teams.
Training and Collaboration:
- The diving teams of both countries shared experiences and underwent training in Maritime Salvage and various aspects of EOD Operations on land and at sea.
- Joint training exercises were conducted to enhance interoperability, cohesiveness, and the exchange of best practices in Maritime Salvage and EOD operations.
- The constructive engagements during the exercise contributed to enhancing the skill sets of the Diving teams.
- The teams gained expertise in diverse disciplines, including mine detection and neutralization, wreck location, and salvage.