Focus: GS III: Defence
Why in News?
Recently, INS Sunayna visited Mombasa, Kenya from 20-23 Jun 23 towards strengthening bilateral ties with maritime neighbours on the theme of the Ocean Ring of Yoga.
- INS SUNAYNA is a Saryu class Offshore Patrol Vessel commissioned at Kochi.
- It is based under the Southern Naval Command and built at Goa Shipyard Limited.
- The warship is designed for various operations, including fleet support, coastal and offshore patrolling, ocean surveillance, monitoring of Sea Lines of Communications and offshore assets, and escort duties.
- It has a maximum speed of 25 knots and features an automatic power management system.
- The ship is equipped with advanced Navigation, Communication, and Electronic Support Systems.
- Other vessels of the Sarayu class include INS Sumitra and INS Sumedha.
Passage Exercise (PASSEX):
- A Maritime Partnership Exercise was conducted between the Indian Navy and Kenyan Navy.
- The exercise included drills in Firefighting & Damage Control, boarding exercises, asymmetric threat simulations, and VBSS (Visit, Board, Search, and Seizure) during the harbor phase.
- A Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) capsule was also conducted onboard for the Kenya Navy.