Focus: GS II- Vulnerable sections.
Why in News?
Nation Celebrates National Girl Child Day every year on 24th of January.
About National Girl Child Day:
- National Girl Child Day is celebrated in the country on January 24 every year
- It was first initiated in 2008 by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- Gender discrimination is a major problem that girls or women face throughout their life.
- To provide support and opportunities to the girls of India.
- To support the girl child of the nation and remove gender-based biases.
- To promote awareness about the inequalities that a girl child faces and educate people about girl’s education.
- The main focus is on changing society’s attitude towards girls, decrease female feticide and create awareness about the decreasing sex ratio.
- To promote awareness about the rights of the girl child
- To increase awareness on the importance of girl education, and their health and nutrition