Focus: GS III: Defence
Why in News?
The Indian Navy has recently inked an agreement with Sagar Defence Engineering Pvt. Ltd for acquiring armed autonomous boat swarms under the ‘SPRINT’ initiative.
About SPRINT Scheme
- The SPRINT Scheme is an initiative to promote the development of niche defense technologies by domestic companies in India.
- It is one of 75 challenges introduced by the Indian Navy under the Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav last year.
- The Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO) and the Defence Innovation Organisation (DIO) aim to induct at least 75 new indigenous technologies/products into the Indian Navy by August 2023 to achieve self-reliance in defense.
- The SPRINT Scheme, which was launched by the Prime Minister in July 2022, will transform the Navy from a “buyer’s navy” to a “builder’s navy.”
Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO)
- The NIIO was launched by the Defense Ministry in August 2020 to encourage innovation and indigenization for self-reliance in the defense sector.
- It is a three-tiered organization consisting of the Naval Technology Acceleration Council (N-TAC), a working group under the N-TAC, and the Technology Development Acceleration Cell (TDAC).
- The N-TAC brings together the aspects of innovation and indigenization and provides directives at the apex level.
- The working group under the N-TAC implements projects.
- The TDAC has been created to induct emerging disruptive technology in an accelerated time frame.