Recently, an Indian Air Force (IAF) contingent departed to participate in Exercise BRIGHT STAR-23, scheduled to be held at Cairo (West) Air Base, Egypt, from 27 August to 16 September 2023.
Facts for Prelims
EXERCISE BRIGHT STAR-23
- Nature: Biennial multilateral tri-service exercise.
- Origins: Initiated in 1980, arising from the Egypt-Israel peace treaty, with US involvement.
- IAF’s Debut: Marks the first participation of the Indian Air Force (IAF) in Ex BRIGHT STAR-23.
- Participating Countries: United States of America, Saudi Arabia, Greece, and Qatar.
- IAF Contingent: Comprises five MiG-29, two IL-78, two C-130, and two C-17 aircraft.
- Personnel Inclusion: Involves IAF’s Garud Special Forces, and members from Squadrons 28, 77, 78, and 81.
- Objective: Focuses on joint operation planning and execution. Facilitates cross-border bonding and enhances strategic relations among participants.
- India-Egypt Relations: Historic partnership with collaborative efforts in aero-engine and aircraft development during the 1960s, along with pilot training exchanges.