A joint military exercise, “Exercise MITRA SHAKTI-2023” is being conducted from November 16th to 29th, 2023, in Aundh (Pune).
GS III: Security Challenges
Dimensions of the Article:
- Exercise MITRA SHAKTI
Exercise MITRA SHAKTI:
- Joint military exercise between the Indian and Sri Lankan armies.
- Marks the ninth edition of the exercise.
- Indian contingent comprises 120 personnel, mainly from the MARATHA LIGHT INFANTRY Regiment.
- Inclusion of personnel from the Indian Air Force and the Sri Lankan Air Force, making it the first bilateral and bi-service exercise between the two countries.
- Jointly rehearse sub-conventional operations under Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter.
- Synergize joint responses during counter-terrorist operations.
- Focus on achieving an enhanced level of interoperability among troops.
- Training Areas:
- Conducting sub-conventional operations.
- Counter-terrorist operations.
- Skill Enhancement:
- Army Martial Arts Routine (AMAR).
- Combat reflex shooting.
- Technology Integration:
- Deployment of Drones and Counter Unmanned Aerial Systems.
- Involvement of helicopters.
- Special Drills:
- Securing helipads.
- Undertaking casualty evacuation during counter-terrorist operations.
- Collective efforts to reduce the risk to life and property.
- Prioritizing the interests and agenda of the UN during peacekeeping operations.
- Strengthens bilateral relations between India and Sri Lanka.