Focus: GS II: Polity and Governance
Why in News?
Recently, the Union Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying launched Nandi – NOC Approval for New Drug and Inoculation System portal, at Krishi Bhawan, New Delhi.
About the NANDI Portal:
The NANDI Portal is developed by the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying (DAHD) in collaboration with the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) through the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC).
Significance of the portal:
- It aims to streamline the regulatory approval process for veterinary products.
- The portal enhances transparency and efficiency in assessing and examining proposals for veterinary drugs and vaccines.
- It is seamlessly integrated with the SUGAM portal of the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization, making the process more streamlined.
- The portal promotes the well-being of livestock and the livestock industry.
- It enables quick and easy coordination between various government departments and institutes, fostering growth and innovation.
Key Facts about the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization:
- It is the National Regulatory Authority (NRA) in India for the medical devices industry under the provisions of the Drugs & Cosmetics Rules.
- It operates under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- The Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) is the head of the CDSCO.
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, CDSCO is responsible for:
- Approval of New Drugs
- Conducting Clinical Trials
- Establishing standards for Drugs
- Ensuring control over the quality of imported Drugs in the country