Focus: GS II: Education
Why in news?
- Government has launched a new Centrally Sponsored Scheme namely, “New India Literacy Programme” (NILP) for implementation during five years from the FYs 2022-23 to 2026-27.
- The financial outlay for the programme is Rs.1037.90 crore out of which Rs.700.00 crore is Central share and Rs.337.90 crore is State share.
- Aim: The scheme aims to cover a target of 5.00 crore non-literates in the age group of 15 years and above.
- The Scheme has five components:
- Foundational Literacy and Numeracy,
- Critical Life Skills,
- Vocational Skills Development,
- Basic Education and
- Continuing Education.
- Identification of Beneficiaries:
- The beneficiaries under the scheme are identified through door to door survey on Mobile App by the surveyors in the States/UTs.
- The non-literate can also avail the benefit of the scheme through direct registration from any place through mobile app.
- The scheme is mainly based on volunteerism for teaching and learning.
- Volunteers can also register through mobile app for this purpose.
- Mode of learning
- The scheme is based on technology and implemented predominantly through online mode.
- The teaching learning material and resources have been made available on DIKSHA platform of NCERT and can be accessed through the mobile-apps.