Focus: GS II: Government Policies and Interventions
Why in News?
Recently, One District One Product (ODOP) programme under Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce & Industry collaborated with an e-commerce player, Groyyo to onboard aggregators selling ODOP-identified products on its platform.
One District One Product (ODOP) programme:
- The ODOP programme was launched by the Ministry of Food Processing Industries in 2018.
- The objective is to promote economic and socio-cultural growth, create employment opportunities, and maximize the potential of each district in India, particularly in rural areas.
Promoting District Specialization:
- The initiative aims to transform each district into an export hub by focusing on promoting the product(s) in which the district specializes.
- This is done through scaling up manufacturing, supporting local businesses, identifying potential foreign customers, and other strategies to boost exports.
Alignment with Atmanirbhar Bharat Vision:
- The ODOP initiative is aligned with the vision of achieving self-reliance (Atmanirbhar Bharat) by promoting local products and industries.
- It aims to enhance the competitiveness of district-specific products and strengthen their presence in domestic and international markets.
Product Identification and Implementation:
- A total of 1102 products from 761 districts across the country have been identified under the ODOP initiative.
- The selection of products is based on the existing ecosystem in each district, products identified under the Districts as Export Hubs (DEH) initiative, and Geographical Indication (GI)-tagged products.
- The final list of products is communicated to the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) by the relevant State/Union Territory departments.
Collaboration with Directorate General of Foreign Trade:
- The ODOP initiative is carried out in coordination with the “Districts as Exports Hub” initiative by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT), Department of Commerce.
- This collaboration aims to support the export potential of district-specific products and enhance their global market reach.