Focus: GS-II Governance
Why in News?
Online nominations/recommendations for the Padma Awards 2024 to be announced on the occasion of Republic Day, 2024 have opened on 1st May 2023.
- The last date for nominations for Padma Awards is 15th September, 2023. The nominations/recommendations for Padma Awards will be received online on the Rashtriya Puraskar Portal
The Padma Awards
- The Padma Awards are announced annually on the eve of Republic Day (26th January).
- There are 3 Padma Awards:
- Padma Vibhushan (for exceptional and distinguished service),
- Padma Bhushan (distinguished service of higher-order) and
- Padma Shri (distinguished service).
- The Awards are given in various disciplines/ fields of activities, viz.- art, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc.
- The Awards are conferred on the recommendations made by the Padma Awards Committee, which is constituted by the Prime Minister every year.
- The total number of awards to be given in a year (excluding posthumous awards and to NRI/foreigners/OCIs) should not be more than 120.
Is it a title?
- The award does not amount to a title and cannot be used as a suffix or prefix to the awardees’ name.
- Article 18 clause 1- Abolishes titles and makes four provisions in that regard: It prohibits the state from conferring any title (except a military or academic distinction) on anybody, whether a citizen or a foreigner.
- Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award of the country.
- Bharat Ratna is awarded in recognition of exceptional service/performance of the highest order in any field of human endeavour.
- Recommendations for Bharat Ratna are made by the Prime Minister to the President of India.
- Only 3 Bharat Ratna Awards can be given in a year.
- Bharat Ratna- 1st degree of honour
- Padma Vibhushan- 2nd degree of honour
- Padma Bhushan- 3rd degree of honour
- Padma Shri- 4th degree of honour