Ruixiang Zhang, Assistant Professor, University of California, Berkeley, USA will be awarded with the 2023 SASTRA Ramanujan Prize for his outstanding contributions in mathematics.
Facts for Prelims
Dimensions of the Article:
- Sastra Ramanujan Prize
- Contributions of Ruixiang Zhang
Sastra Ramanujan Prize
- Instituted in 2005, the Sastra Ramanujan Prize is awarded annually by SASTRA University in Tamil Nadu, India, on December 22, Ramanujan’s birth anniversary.
- The prize recognizes mathematicians from around the world who are under 32 years of age and work in fields influenced by the work of the renowned mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.
- The age limit of 32 is chosen to honor Ramanujan’s exceptional contributions made in a relatively short life span.
- The prize includes a citation and a cash award of $10,000, and it has gained international recognition since its establishment.
- Past recipients of this prestigious prize include Manjul Bhargava and Akshay Venkatesh.
Contributions of Ruixiang Zhang
- Ruixiang Zhang is a young mathematician known for his significant work spanning areas such as analytic number theory, combinatorics, Euclidean Harmonic Analysis, and geometry.
- Zhang’s notable achievement includes a collaboration with Shaoming Guo, where they proved a multivariable generalization of Vinogradov’s Mean Value Theorem, based on his Princeton PhD thesis.
- This groundbreaking work, published in Inventiones Mathematicae in 2019, is considered a major milestone in the field of mathematics.
-Source: The Hindu.