The Scholarships for Higher Education for Young Achievers Scheme (SHREYAS) initiative has been a cornerstone in India’s efforts to empower students from Scheduled Castes (SC) and Other Backward Classes (OBC) by providing them access to quality education.
GS II: Government Policies and Interventions
Dimensions of the Article:
- SHREYAS: Empowering Education for OBC & EBC Students
SHREYAS: Empowering Education for OBC & EBC Students
- SHREYAS is an umbrella scheme under the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- It aims to empower OBC & Economically Backward Class (EBC) students through fellowships and interest subsidies on educational loans for higher education.
Sub-Schemes: The SHREYAS umbrella scheme includes four central sector sub-schemes:
Free Coaching Scheme for SCs and OBCs:
- Objective: Provide high-quality coaching to economically disadvantaged SCs and OBCs for competitive exams and technical/professional institution admissions.
- Income Ceiling: Family income capped at 8 lakhs per annum.
- Slot Allocation: 3500 slots allotted annually.
- Gender Inclusivity: 30% slots reserved for females in both categories.
- Allocation Ratio: SC: OBC ratio at 70:30 for equitable access.
- Outcomes: Benefited 19,995 beneficiaries from 2014-15 to 2022-23.
Top-Class Education for SCs:
- Objective: Recognize and promote quality education among SC students beyond the 12th class.
- Income Ceiling: Family income limit set at 8 lakhs per annum.
- Coverage: Includes 266 higher education institutes, including prestigious institutions like IIMs, IITs, and NITs.
- Scholarship: Covers tuition fee, non-refundable charges, academic allowance, and other expenses.
- Outcomes: Benefited 21,988 beneficiaries from 2014-15 to 2022-23.
National Overseas Scheme for SCs:
- Objective: Provide financial assistance to selected students from various categories for pursuing masters and Ph.D. courses abroad.
- Eligibility: Students with family income below Rs. 8 lakhs per annum, securing admission in the top 500 QS ranking foreign institutes/universities.
- Scholarship: Covers tuition fee, maintenance, contingency allowance, visa fee, and airfare.
- Outcomes: Benefited 950 beneficiaries from 2014-15 to 2022-23.
National Fellowship for SC Students:
- Aim: Support SC students pursuing M.Phil/Ph.D. degrees in Sciences, Humanities, and Social Sciences in Indian Universities/Institutions/Colleges recognized by UGC.
- Eligibility: NET-JRF qualified candidates or Junior Research Fellows for Science stream (UGC-CSIR Joint Test).
- Allocation: Provides 2000 new slots annually (500 for Science and 1500 for Humanities/Social Sciences).