The Union Minister of Science and Technology has launched the SUPREME initiative, which aims to provide financial assistance for the maintenance and upgrade of analytical instrumentation facilities (AIFs).
GS II: Government Policies and Interventions
Dimensions of the Article:
- About SUPREME Initiative
- Criterion for Selection
About SUPREME Initiative
Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Science and Technology
The Support for Up-gradation Preventive Repair and Maintenance of Equipment (SUPREME) is a government initiative that provides financial support for repair, upgradation, maintenance, retrofitting, or acquiring additional attachments to increase the functional capabilities of existing analytical instrumentation facilities.
- The funding pattern in the scheme would be 75:25 for all private and government-owned institutions (except for state-funded institutions for which 100% funding would be considered).
- Different facilities created under the projects/ Analytical instrumentation facilities (AIFs) created earlier from the support of DST, only will be considered for the funding support under this Scheme.
- Such facilities at institutions recognised by the University Grants Commission (UGC) are eligible to apply for grants under this initiative.
- Duration: The duration of support will be for a period not exceeding 3 years.
Criterion for Selection:
- Apart from the academic and research merits of the organizations, details of how the revival of the research facility will benefit the scientific community/MSMEs/Startups will be taken into account for evaluating the proposals.
- Proven records of the sample(s) analyzed, publications, patents, different beneficiaries/stakeholders associated with the facility and other parameters like Scientific Social Responsibility/industrial R&D components will be considered for screening of the proposals.
- The selection process will be through a peer review mechanism and a visit to the organizations if necessary.
- Expert Committee will evaluate the proposals and assist DST in making the final selection.
-Source: Times of India