The Vadhavan Port Project Ltd. (VPPL) has initiated the process for construction of the ₹76,220 crore port and public hearings are likely to begin in the next few months.
GS III: Infrastructure
Dimensions of the Article:
- Vadhavan Port
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port (Nhava Sheva)
Vadhavan Port Overview:
Proposed Container Port Project
- Location: Vadhavan, Maharashtra.
- Estimated Cost: Rs 75,000 crore.
- Joint Venture: Developed by the Jawaharlal Nehru Port Authority (JNPA) and the Maharashtra Maritime Board (MMB).
- Natural Draft: Approximately 20 meters close to the shore.
- Vessel Handling Capacity: Capable of accommodating container vessels of 16,000-25,000 TEUs.
- Cargo Handling Capacity: Designed to handle around 254 million tonnes (MT) of cargo.
- Green Port Initiative: Planned as a Green Port.
- Green Fuel Provision: Intends to provide green fuel to ships.
- Environmental Planning: Construction and operations planned with a focus on addressing environmental concerns.
Jawaharlal Nehru Port (Nhava Sheva):
Largest Container Port in India
- Handling Capacity: Manages around 55% of total containers handled by all Major Ports in India.
- Location: East of Mumbai, in Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Access: Connected to the Arabian Sea via Thane Creek.
- Alternate Name: Commonly referred to as Nhava Sheva.
Integral Role in Freight Transportation
- Terminal of Western Dedicated Freight Corridor: Plays a crucial role in the transportation network as the terminal for the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor.
-Source: Hindustan Times