Focus: GS-II Social Justice
Why in news?
The Supreme Court has taken suo moto cognisance of the ‘migrant labourers’ issues and proposed that all states should put on record what scheme they have prepared for providing employment to the migrant labourers returning back to their hometowns.
What have some States done so far?
- In Bihar, about 3 million migrants had returned to their hometowns and no more are stranded in any states. Bihar has undertaken skill mapping of those workers who returned and have so far covered 1 million people.
- Uttar Pradesh claimed that the state had not charged the workers for their travel expenses and food.
- Kerala was the only state which informed the court of its inability to pay for the fare of migrant workers.
- West Bengal stated before the court that it does not have data on migrant workers who intend to reach the state.
- (For answer) Hence, it is crucial to note that the efforts to support Migrant workers who have returned is inadequate and might lead to increased levels of unemployment in the near future.
-Source: Hindustan Times