Southern Railway has identified 90 stations for development under the Amrit Bharat Station Scheme (ABSS).
GS II: Government Policies and Interventions
Dimensions of the Article:
- Amrit Bharat Station Scheme (ABSS)
- Facilities Planned under ABSS
Amrit Bharat Station Scheme (ABSS):
- The Amrit Bharat Station Scheme (ABSS) aims at the development of railway stations with a long-term vision, focusing on enhancing facilities and amenities beyond the minimum essential requirements.
- The scheme will consolidate and replace previous redevelopment projects that have not yet commenced.
- The scheme entails the preparation of Master Plans for railway stations and their phased implementation.
- Master Plans will be based on factors such as station footfall and inputs from stakeholders.
- Zonal railways are responsible for selecting stations, which will then be approved by a committee of senior railway officials.
- The objective is to execute low-cost redevelopment that can be implemented in a timely manner.
Facilities Planned under ABSS:
- Creation of a Roof Plaza in the future.
- Provision of free Wi-Fi and space for 5G mobile towers.
- Improving access through road widening, removal of unwanted structures, well-designed signages, dedicated pedestrian pathways, well-planned parking areas, and improved lighting.
- Efforts will be made to combine different grades/types of waiting halls and provide quality cafeteria and retail facilities.
- Upgrading furniture in waiting rooms, platforms, restrooms, and offices.
- High-level platforms (760-840 millimeters) will be provided at all categories of stations.
- Special amenities will be incorporated for the disabled, following guidelines issued by the Railway Board.