Focus: GS II: Government Policies and Inerventions
Why in News?
The Department of Social Justice and Empowerment is implementing Integrated Programme for Senior Citizens (IPSrC), a component of Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana.
Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana:
Nodal : Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
- It is a Central Sector Scheme previously known as National Action Plan for Senior Citizens.
- Its vision is to create a society where senior citizens can live a healthy, happy, and empowered life.
- It has two components:
- Integrated Program for Senior Citizens (IPSrC): It includes setting up homes to improve the quality of life of senior citizens, especially indigent senior citizens who lack basic amenities.
- State Action Plan for Senior Citizens (SAPSrC): Each state/union territory is expected to frame its own action plan for the welfare of senior citizens.
- Under IPSrC component, grant in aid is provided to NGOs/Voluntary Organisations (VOs) for running and maintenance of old age homes and Continuous Care Homes.
- Five schemes have been launched under this umbrella scheme:
- Poshan Abhiyan for the elderly
- Livelihood and skilling initiatives for senior citizens
- Scheme on promoting the silver economy
- Awareness generation and capacity building for the welfare of senior citizens
- Channelising CSR funds for elderly care.