Why in news?
The Prime Minister addressed the nation regarding the battle against the COVID-19 crisis and how we are going to face it as a nation.
PPE kits N-95 masks, whose production in India has gone up from almost being negligible to 2 lakh each, on a daily basis is an example of inspiration for ensuring that the country becomes self-reliant.
Five pillars of a self-reliant India
- Economy: which brings in quantum jump and not incremental change;
- Infrastructure: which should become the identity of India;
- System: based on 21st century technology driven arrangements;
- Vibrant Demography: which is our source of energy for a self-reliant India;
- Demand: whereby the strength of our demand and supply chain should be utilized to full capacity.
Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan
- Prime Minister announced a special economic package to the tune of Rs 20 lakh crore, which is equivalent to almost 10% of India’s GDP, which will help achieve “Atmanirbhar Bharat”.
- The package will also focus on Land, Labour, Liquidity and Laws.
- Reforms include supply chain reforms for agriculture, rational tax system, simple and clear laws, capable human resource and a strong financial system.
- These reforms will promote business, attract investment, and further strengthen Make in India.
- The package will also focus on empowering the poor, labourers, migrants, etc., both from organized and unorganized sectors.
Living with COVID
Several experts and scientists have said that the virus is going to be part of our lives for a long time.