Why in news?
The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has opened Rohtang Pass (13,500 feet above sea level) more than three weeks in advance after Clearing Snow.
Himachal Pradesh Government had approached BRO to expedite the snow clearance to facilitate return of farmers for starting cultivation and movement of essential supplies and to bring relief materials to Lahaul Valley in wake of COVID-19.
Border Roads Organisation (BRO)
- The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) develops and maintains road networks in India’s border areas and friendly neighboring countries.
- BRO is under the control of the Ministry of Defence since 2015.
- BRO is engaged in road construction to provide connectivity to difficult and inaccessible regions in the border areas of the country.
Read More about BRO at:
(First article of 22nd April PIB)
- Rohtang Pass (elevation 3,978 m) is located in the state of Himachal Pradesh.
- It is present on the Pir Panjal Range of Himalayas.
- It connects the Kullu Valley with Lahaul and Spiti Valleys of Himachal Pradesh.
- The Ravi river rises west of the Rohtang pass in the Kullu hills of Himachal Pradesh
- It is the arterial road connecting Lahaul and Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh from rest of the country.
- The pass was opened on May 18, 2019.
Read More about Important Mountain Passes in Himalayas at:
(First article of 12th April PIB)